Tuesday 14 June 2011

What About Bob

Pointing a camera at Bill Murray and letting it roll has long been a recognised method of generating comedy, but sadly this isn't one of the stronger examples. It's a bit of a shame, I remember adoring this film as a kid and like many things revisited it came as a disappointment. I suppose it's fair to say that my sense of humour might have changed in the last two decades, but I still feel pretty bitter about it, as if yet another piece of my childhood has been set ablaze. I'm still not over the Mysterious Cities of Gold. Olmecs? I don't even.

Murray plays Bob, a man described as "multi phobic", which is probably what they used to call one of the vast array of anxiety disorders, and who has plagued a long list of psychiatrists with his laundry list of problems, the latest of which being Richard Dreyfus. Desperate for help, Bob follows him and his family on holiday and hilarity ensues.

Or not, as the case happens to be. I found it mildly humorous, there is excellent chemistry between Dreyfus and Murray, and the occasional flash of brilliant dialogue (When asked about his divorce Bob replies: "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't.") but never laugh out loud funny, that oh so crucial metric of the comedy.

It's all just a bit family friendly. While I liked the fact that Bob is never "broken", never shows any signs of darkness despite his illness, which is the sort of thing that happens a lot in Robin Williams films, it really is trying ever so hard to be charming and sweet. There are many moments that could be described as "heartwarming" which Younger Me probably just ate up. The ignorant fool.

Probably a great film to show ones offspring, as it's still Murray if not especially classic. And if nothing else it stands as evidence that I was not the hardened cynic that I'd always assumed I was when I was seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment