Tuesday 28 June 2011

Malcolm X

Spike Lee's Malcolm X is three hours long. Now I know there are plenty of other things about the film which are worthy of note, which is why this review isn't just those eight words, but I wanted to get my major beef up and out of the way. Three hours. I've seen longer films, but few that felt like it.

And I'm not even sure why it is three hours. There are certainly many interesting elements to his life and several highly distinctive periods that contribute to the mercurial man, and while I liked that the length allowed it to significantly change stylistically from one to the other with a subtle flow, I don't think that in in any way justifies the time. It details the things that happened rather than seriously seeking to examine his greater nature, so separate are the segments of his life that it's hard to see where they join into a larger picture of the no doubt complicated man. Indeed it gave me the impression of a man with a talent for speech who spent a life fulfilling roles determined by others, wearing a series a masks with little living behind them, and I can't believe that this was the films intent.

It doesn't even really attempt to explore why he was such an important figure, it covers the controversy certainly, but without the social background, the meaning of someone who spoke in such extremes is lost. There was value in his anger and I don't think that came across. Perhaps it makes the assumption you go in previously aware, which I suppose is reasonable for anyone settling down for three goddamn hours of this, but felt like an oversight of some size all the same.

Despite all these issues I do believe it has value. It's subject was of an importance that is often overlooked and while, as I say, I don't think it makes his case especially well, it does make it all the same . By virtue of it's length few filmic biographies can be considered quite so complete. His ideology was fascinating and his oratory electric, Denzel Washington nails their intensity as well as all of the elements the disparate personality demands of him. Taken as a whole it's a stunning piece of acting. As above the shifting styles are impressive, and if anything say more about the periods through which he lived than the films actual events.

All in all though, the film goes to great lengths to say surprisingly little, it lacks efficiency and I felt it could have done far greater justice to the man in considerably less time.

2 comments:

  1. I've not seen Training Day, which I should probably remedy a bit sharpish. I'm not sure about always, I've seen a few movies where he's just "decent", but I'll agree I've never seen a poor performance from the man. He's one of those actors who I consider a safe pair of hands, and he definitely has good overall access to "the bag".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god. OH GOD!

    Whatever you're doing right now (obviously reading this comment) stop it and watch Training Day. It's class!

    You might not even like it, but I think Denzel is fucking awesome in it. I find the main character Jake a little jobsworth cunt, but I totally love the film as a whole. But maybe Jake is meant to be an annoying little loser. In which case, bravo. Cool acting, bro. Encore, etc.

    ReplyDelete